/

Binge-eating husband is a runaway train

Re: Husband:

A rather morbid thought, but one to keep in mind. What sort of life insurance does your husband have? Can you increase it? As Carolyn said, he's a runaway train that you won't be able to stop. At least have a cushion for if/when he derails permanently.

-- Morbid

Wondering how realistic that is after a heart attack -- but, yes, if doable, thanks.

My siblings think I spoil my 26-year-old son. I am not rich but I am secure. My son is trying some entrepreneurial things and money is often tight. I don't want him to pay for food with his credit card. I give him a few grand here and there, which makes it easier on him, but then I dare not tell my family. He does go to restaurants with friends but he's not a big spender and I don't want him to think he needs to picnic in the park every time he wants society.

I think really rich people subsidize their children's entire lives all the time and that's called high society. But I'm being called a sucker. Is there a line I shouldn't cross?

-- Secure

If your son is an ingrate or in any way showing signs of entitlement, then please reduce the cushion.

But if he's a good kid who appreciates what you do, is trying in earnest to make something of himself -- as in, working his butt off and not living the dilettante life -- and demonstrates through his life choices that he intends to be a net asset to society, then please feel free to tell your family to stuff it.

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2017, Washington Post Writers Group

Daddy's Home Sarah's Scribbles Nest Heads Dustin Rugrats Bizarro