/

How 'twin brothers' can respond to rude questions from adults

Seriously -- deflect all you want, as you want, in as few syllables as you want. It's nobody's business, at all. Any follow-ups by the particularly clueless can be shut down more explicitly.

Readers also suggest:

-- "Because that is how adoption works." You can stand up for your sons and adoption all in one breath.

-- Give them the "think about it, genius" look. If the 5-year-olds delivered the look, that would be perfect.

-- "The Doobies weren't really brothers, either."

Most of my kids' friends are going to summer camp. My kids feel inferior because we can't afford it. Is there something to be said for living in a neighborhood where everyone has similar incomes?

-- Money Troubled

I suppose, but I think there's a lot more to be said for living in a neighborhood with a big range of incomes. I think economic diversity is underappreciated and often ignored for the more talked about diversity in ethnicity and race.

I know exactly how your kids feel, so I'm not discounting it. However, obstacles are what spur creativity, growth, resiliency, compassion and self-knowledge. Plus, it's not even a universal obstacle but one of proximity; they only care about summer camps because they're in a community of summer-campers.

So their summertime limits are a bummer they can spin into the gold of resourcefulness as they fill their own time -- exploration, free play, developing a lot more independence than campers get, earning money, perfecting a skill or sport, reading? Or it can fuel a motivating fire to be able to afford someday what their friends have now. Again, no fun for any of you in the moment, but not the worst thing.

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2017, Washington Post Writers Group

Rugrats Mother Goose & Grimm Steve Breen Spectickles Bizarro 9 Chickweed Lane