/

Caught in the communication chasm between husband and his parents

Hi, Carolyn:

My spouse and his parents seem to have a huge rift when it comes to communication -- meaning, what someone should be told versus what they ask. My husband gets upset because his parents don't share something with him and their response is usually, "Well, you should have asked." And it's not always clear he would know when or what to ask.

We seem to be coming into this issue with the passing of a family member while we were on vacation. None of the details and funeral arrangements have been communicated to us, so I've asked, but I know my husband is fuming that they have not let him know details such as date, time and place.

Is there a way to bridge this? They have a long history of different emotional and communication styles, and they're not going to go to therapy. My husband doesn't seem to want to accept them as they are. I often either feel caught in the middle, or like I am supposed to try to communicate or explain the other's behavior.

-- Asking Versus Telling

No. You are not "caught" in the middle, and no, you are not supposed to help him communicate or to explain one party to the other.

These are kind things to offer when people have generally functional relationships that misfire every once in a while. But when you have a pattern of dysfunction like the one you describe here, stepping in to help merely helps to perpetuate the problem.

Worse than that, it actually widens the scope of the problem to include you, too.

There must be a special law of physics for dysfunction, since there's no limit to how far it can stretch to hold everyone who wants in.

Marvin Boondocks Beetle Bailey Mallard Fillmore Family Circus Fowl Language