/

Ensuring kids' safety in a household with guns

If they object, then explain: "I respect your right to pray as you choose, and ask that you respect mine." Decline to argue this point.

Tell your boyfriend your intentions ahead of time, by the way, so he knows what he's walking into -- and assure him his conscience is the only thing he need answer to with your family.

I became friends with a woman six years ago through other friends. We hit it off right away. We don't socialize together but speak on the phone occasionally because we like each other.

To avoid parking fees when she travels, she asks others to drive her (in her car) to and from the airport. She has started asking me -- several weeks before her trips -- before asking people she's closer to.

I don't enjoy spending three to four hours fighting traffic. Even though I don't have many events on my calendar, I've had to turn down things I really would have enjoyed doing because of the long-term "obligation." Is there a tactful way I can get out of my chauffeur role?

-- M.

Yes: by saying no.

You can do that.

And you don't owe explanations for not doing favors, but, "Driving to the airport is stressful for me," has all the tact you need.

By the way, this friend? Holy cheap.

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2017, Washington Post Writers Group

Steve Breen Jerry King Cartoons Arctic Circle Meaning of Lila Tina's Groove Mallard Fillmore