/

Ensuring kids' safety in a household with guns

For anyone who overrides self-preservation impulses out of fear of appearing rude, "The Gift of Fear" and "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin de Becker are required reading -- since I doubt you'd literally rather die than offend.

My brother and new sister-in-law are very religious, not to mention very conservative. My boyfriend and I are agnostic and progressive. However, I was raised in a very religious household, and growing up I attended church every Sunday and wasn't allowed to miss unless I was ill. At 18, I decided organized religion was not for me and have not been inside a church since, except for a wedding or funeral.

Whenever we go out as a family, my brother and sister-in-law insist on praying out loud, whether we are in public or at home. When my mother is there, I indulge the practice, but when it's just the four of us, I prefer not to and I am uncomfortable when this occurs. I have asked twice if we could all just say a private prayer to ourselves rather than have a group prayer, but I'm overruled.

I feel strongly that I shouldn't have to partake in their prayer ritual. How should I address this?

-- J.

You shouldn't have to partake in their prayer ritual.

And they shouldn't have to partake in your moment-of-silence ritual.

So you have in fact addressed this: You suggested saying a private, silent prayer instead of a group one.

Your brother and sister-in-law simply overruled you, as they had every right to do. Likewise, you have every right to opt out of the group prayer and remain silent as you prefer.

Garfield Mallard Fillmore Loose Parts The Pajama Diaries Ken Catalino Jerry King Cartoons