/

Friend uses work and relationship problems to excuse bad behavior

I met a guy at a bar from another state. We hit it off, met for drinks a couple of days later, and the potential for a relationship was born before he headed home.

That was two months ago. We met up in a third city about a month ago for a three-hour dinner date while I was on a work trip, which was quite pleasant.

Another month has gone by. I can't travel to him for one more month due to additional travel, and he hasn't fully committed to visit me yet. We talk on the phone twice per week with a small smattering of texts in between. I'm starting to be over it due to the limited communication.

There's just not enough there to maintain interest in between cross-country flights and it's starting to feel uninteresting, despite the fact he still seems excited about me.

Do I give him a chance to visit again before killing it? Or does the slow two-month build up to not much speak for itself? Friends are telling me to give it time, but my ex-boyfriend texts more often than he does and that feels telling.

-- Long-Distance

Friends, timing of next visit, ex's text frequency -- these are all clutter. You have lost interest. That's all you need to know.

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2017, Washington Post Writers Group

Chip Bok Reply All Mallard Fillmore Sarah's Scribbles Loose Parts Marvin