/

Weary of being the father figure in little brother's life

About 10 years ago, when I was 16, my father left my mother for a much younger woman and moved away with her. This was a shock to the whole family.

My sister, "Beth," was 12 and my brother, "Ben," was barely 4. The girlfriend didn't want to deal with a little kid, so Ben didn't go with us on visits to Dad. When he was older, he chose not to go, and no one forced the issue. They never really got to know one another.

Recently, Dad broke up with his girlfriend and moved back to our area. He is very contrite and wants to establish stronger ties with us kids. Beth and I are giving him a chance but Ben wants no part of him, even though Dad is still paying child support for him.

I'm trying to talk Ben into seeing our dad but he says I'm the only "father" he has ever needed.

The thing is, I'd be very glad to give up that role and just be Ben's brother. I've tried to enlist my mom in this but she says it's entirely up to Ben. She has a boyfriend and has long since moved on with her life.

But while my mom can replace a husband, Ben can't get another father, and I feel like he's making a huge mistake. Ben is stubborn and Dad is really hurt by his rejection. How can I bring these two together?

-- Just Want to Be Big Brother

First, let me say what I hope your parents have said themselves but I fear they haven't: I'm sorry you were thrown into this position at such a young age; I'm impressed by how you've dealt with it, managing a lot of responsibility with love and grace.

Master Strokes: Golf Tips Blondie Aunty Acid 9 Chickweed Lane Strange Brew Non Sequitur