Life Advice



Ask Amy: Brother’s drinking disrupts tight family

Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Roomie: One way to wean your roommate from discussing personal matters she is obsessing over is to listen quietly and nod your head, but don’t offer any advice or solutions.

She will become frustrated by your silence. When this happens, you can say, “I know this is tough for you, but maybe it is time to take your own power back and accept this for what it is, because you can’t change it.”

Dear Amy: “Marred in Maine” called out her husband “Steve” for compensating his adult daughter for work she hadn’t done in the family’s business, while Marred basically worked for free.

Wow. Steve seems like the perfect employer. I wonder if he needs another absentee employee!

– Working Hard


Dear Working Hard: The line forms at the door.


(You can email Amy Dickinson at or send a letter to Ask Amy, P.O. Box 194, Freeville, NY 13068. You can also follow her on Twitter @askingamy or Facebook.)

©2021 Amy Dickinson. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.



blog comments powered by Disqus


Master Strokes: Golf Tips Boondocks Garfield Ed Wexler Diamond Lil Curtis