/

Ask Amy: Honeymoon ended before it began

Dear Amy: Is it normal for parents to ask their young children if they love them?

My ex-partner sometimes asks our 2-1/2-year-old if he loves him and I find it strange, if not inappropriate.

Our son is a loving boy who spontaneously gives hugs, kisses and says, “I love you” to close relatives.

His dad only sees him a few hours each week (by choice), so that could explain why he needs reinsurance. However, I wonder if it's not too much to ask such a young child.

And of course, the answer is always yes, so I find it a bit disturbing that his father asks it every once in a while.

Recently, my son asked him that same question; something he has never done with me or anybody else, so he was just imitating his dad, I think.

How can I tell my ex not to ask our toddler that question anymore?

– Uncomfortable

Dear Uncomfortable: Many parents and children relay similar prompts: “How much do you love me?”

“To the moon and back!”

Momma A.F. Branco Fowl Language Darrin Bell Bizarro Candorville