Life Advice



Happy introvert doesn't know how to party

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

So yes, encourage your son to have a friend over, or to go on an outing -- perhaps to a movie -- if he would like. You should also encourage him to play soccer, clarinet, chess, or any activity outside of the home that you think might be a good fit for him. If you and your wife are turned off by the sideline parent-scene on the soccer field, then you and she can sit quietly together. Your son will grow and change. And if you foster his interests and encourage him to take some social risks outside the home, you will, too.

Dear Amy: I was married for 45 years to a man who was self-absorbed and acted like a teenager. I stayed, believing the family we had was important. We are in our late 60s, and have two children and four grandkids.

My husband was moody, drank a lot, and spent his money on his hobbies and friends.

After he left I learned he was hiding money, had kept his inheritance in his name, and was having an affair with a high school girlfriend. They are now together.

He lied about this, and then joked when he admitted it was true.

Should I see this man at family occasions? I don't want to make others uncomfortable, but I would prefer not to. Whenever I see his happy posts on social media, I cringe.


He says he would like to remain in contact. He has told people that he has no remorse or guilt about leaving or cheating. He tells everyone we just grew apart. He tells me he cares for me, but I don't believe him.

I am disappointed with myself that I stayed. It has been difficult, but I am managing. I work full time and sometimes feel isolated.

What should I do?

-- Left


swipe to next page


blog comments powered by Disqus

Social Connections


Caption It Pearls Before Swine Loose Parts Chip Bok Lee Judge For Better or For Worse