/

Facebook feedback causes friendship to falter

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Amy: I am in my 60s and have known "Sue" for more than 40 years.

Over the years, Sue has made several negative comments about some of my Facebook posts. For instance, one time I posted that I was sick. She called me to ask why I would put such a thing on FB. Another involved a joke that she didn't think was funny.

Eventually I changed privacy settings so she couldn't see my posts.

We also both belong to a school alumni Facebook group. Within the last few months she has criticized a couple of my comments to others in that group.

Neither of these comments had anything to do with her. In one, I commiserated with an alumni friend who talked about his shyness by noting that my son is also shy. I provided no other details. Sue reamed me out for "gossiping" about my son.

Sue refused to stop lecturing me, and I ended up telling her how angry I was about her intrusiveness and criticism.

I have never told Sue -- or anyone else -- what they should or shouldn't post, and I have never received negative feedback from anyone else.

I realize that Facebook is not private, but are there any rules concerning critiquing the posts of others?

-- One Less Friend

Dear One Less: The rules governing Facebook are the same rules that govern all human interchange: Understand that anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of public (or private) opinion.

Long Story Short Jimmy Margulies Jerry King Cartoons Little Dog Lost Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee Nest Heads