/

Long-buried secret resurfaces when principals die

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Amy: A year after my mother died, I woke up to the sounds of my father and my married aunt (my mother's sister) having sex in the living room.

I was 17 at the time and had to go to school the next morning. I was panicked that I would run across my aunt when leaving, since she was now in my father's bedroom down the short hall from my room.

I waited in my room until she left.

I never told any of my siblings or any other family or friends about this.

I did share this with a therapist, who suggested that I needed to tell at least one of my siblings, but I did not want to upset them or be accused of lying.

My father and I did not always have a great relationship as he was emotionally and verbally abusive to me.

Sponsored Video Stories from LifeZette

All of this happened more than 30 years ago. My father recently died, my aunt died over a year ago.

I thought I had dealt with this and moved on years ago, but I am now feeling the need to share this secret with a sister.

I know this will hurt whoever I share it with, and I don't want to hurt anyone. Should I continue keeping this to myself?

-- Secret Keeper

Archie Arctic Circle Peanuts Rudy Park Boondocks Luann