/

Long-buried secret resurfaces when principals die

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Amy: A year after my mother died, I woke up to the sounds of my father and my married aunt (my mother's sister) having sex in the living room.

I was 17 at the time and had to go to school the next morning. I was panicked that I would run across my aunt when leaving, since she was now in my father's bedroom down the short hall from my room.

I waited in my room until she left.

I never told any of my siblings or any other family or friends about this.

I did share this with a therapist, who suggested that I needed to tell at least one of my siblings, but I did not want to upset them or be accused of lying.

My father and I did not always have a great relationship as he was emotionally and verbally abusive to me.

All of this happened more than 30 years ago. My father recently died, my aunt died over a year ago.

I thought I had dealt with this and moved on years ago, but I am now feeling the need to share this secret with a sister.

I know this will hurt whoever I share it with, and I don't want to hurt anyone. Should I continue keeping this to myself?

-- Secret Keeper

Crankshaft Wumo For Better or For Worse Poorly Drawn Lines Mutts Blondie