In-law reaction to cancer treatment creates rift

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

I hope you are not serious that it would be better for this man to stay home than join in a family celebration empty-handed.

You could attempt to coach him to always bring a card with him. Cards make nice keepsakes for all of the events you mention. But a gift should not be required at any of these celebrations.

Dear Amy: I thought you were snarky in your response to "Wondering," the woman who reported that her live-in guy's mother, "Betty," came to their house every day, took care of their dogs and rearranged their furniture and cupboards while doing so.

This woman should not be in their house at all.

-- Upset

Dear Upset: This couple was accepting "Betty's" free doggy day care. I suggested that "Upset" should communicate her concerns to Betty, but otherwise it might be worth it to put up with what she called "minor annoyances."

(You can contact Amy Dickinson via email: Readers may send postal mail to Amy Dickinson, c/o Tribune Content Agency, 16650 Westgrove Drive, Suite 175, Addison, Texas, 75001. You can also follow her on Twitter @askingamy or "like" her on Facebook.)

Bob Gorrell Pearls Before Swine Working it Out Spectickles Jerry King Cartoons Mallard Fillmore