/

Mom wears a thong; girls want to follow suit

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Amy: My husband, his parents and his sister rotate hosting duties for Thanksgiving every year. It's our turn.

My husband and I decided to do something different this year. We did not want to worry about cooking or cleaning up, so we reserved (and paid for) a private Thanksgiving Day dinner at a popular steakhouse. We had no expectation of anyone paying for their meal; we only hoped it would be a good time.

My husband mentioned the restaurant plan to his mother, and she immediately said that they would not be participating. She wants a "traditional" Thanksgiving, and said we were "lazy" for hosting at a restaurant.

She also told my sister-in-law that we must have money to waste, and is trying to convince her to host Thanksgiving herself, instead of coming to the restaurant with us.

My sister-in-law is trying to make everyone happy, and hasn't committed to anything yet. My mother-in-law has dug in and refuses to even discuss the topic with us anymore.

I am hurt by this reaction. However, I do not feel we should change our plans because of her, or just give in, when our intention was to do something nice. What should we do?

Sponsored Video Stories from LifeZette

-- Wondering

Dear Wondering: You need to realize that it's possible that if you announced to your mother-in-law that you were hosting at your home but would be serving lobster instead of traditional turkey, she might have a problem.

Many people have a specific vision of what this holiday is supposed to be about, and her vision seems to be one of you, laboring over a roasting pan, basting a turkey.

But if it's your turn and whether you want to host this at a steakhouse, a Chinese restaurant or at the Tim Hortons on the highway, then your family should give it a try.

Free Range Hagar the Horrible Rubes One Big Happy Chip Bok Michael Ramirez