/

Daughter in stalemate withholds grandchild visits

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Amy: My parents and I have been in a fight for a while, mostly due to money.

I moved in with my folks (with my husband and our two children). They were receiving a generous amount of money from us, covering rent and bills. We were told we didn't need to pay utility bills, but they asked for extra money, so we did not hesitate.

When I told my folks we were going to move out, my dad got upset, mainly because he would be losing this help.

He said pretty mean things to my husband, and my dad and I got into an altercation where we both said very hurtful words.

It has been a few months now and recently they reached out to me to spend time with my daughter for her birthday.

They didn't call to apologize, didn't call to make amends, just texted me like nothing happened!

When I did not reply to the text, they sent my sister to ask me if my parents can borrow my daughter for the day.

How should I respond to this? My daughter, who is 4, misses her grandparents and she asks for them constantly, but I am hurt, my husband is hurt and we believe that they need to try and make amends before we let them see our kids.

What should I do?

-- Upset Daughter

Garfield One Big Happy Archie The Pajama Diaries Wumo Speed Bump