/

Annie's Mailbox: A Favorite Essay

Can you tell me about your job? I was a nurse once myself.

Can you listen? Wonderful. I'm starved for conversation.

Can you bake a sponge cake or zucchini bread or angel biscuits or make fudge? They aren't on the nursing home menu, but I remember how good they were and I would like to taste them again.

Do you play checkers or dominoes or rummy? Fine, so do I, but there is never anyone who has the time. They are understaffed around here, you know.

Do you play the violin or the flute or the piano? My hearing is poor, but I can hear any kind of music. Even if I fall asleep, you'll know I enjoyed it.

Once we were somebodies, just like you. We were farmers and farmers' wives and teachers, nurses, beauticians, stockbrokers and electricians, bankers and sheriffs and maybe a few outlaws, too. We're not all senile -- just old and needing more help than our families can give us. This home, whatever its name, is "home" to us and you're an invited guest. Please come. The welcome mat is always out and not just on Thanksgiving. I hope you will keep this and read it again in January, February, and every other month of the year. We'll still be here and our needs will be the same.

Annie's Snippet for Thanksgiving (credit the late Irv Kupcinet): An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day.

=========

"Annie's Mailbox" is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar. This column was originally published in 2016. To find out more about Classic Annie's Mailbox and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit Creators Syndicate at www.creators.com.

1 and Done Zits Arctic Circle Bob Englehart Flo & Friends Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee