/

Annie's Mailbox: Still Writing Thank-You Notes in Manheim, Pennsylvania

No. 3. Think function over cuteness. Those frilly little girls' dresses are adorable, but our daughter wore hers once. She spends most of her time in footed sleepers.

No. 4. If it doesn't have a snap crotch, leave it on the rack. There's nothing like spending 10 minutes wrestling to take the whole thing off to change a diaper.

No. 5. Some of the best gifts are the most practical. Our daughter goes through 8-10 diapers a day, and no parent will scoff at a nice big box of them. Or wipes. Or a gift certificate to a local baby store.

No. 6. When in doubt, ask the parents what they need. -- Still Writing Thank-You Notes in Manheim, Pennsylvania.

Dear Manheim: You've given some good suggestions, but it's hard to resist those cute, frilly dresses. So, readers, please make sure all gifts are returnable.

Dear Annie: Less than a month ago, my best friend and her youngest brother were killed in an automobile accident caused by a drunk driver. She was the smartest, kindest, nicest person I have ever known. She didn't deserve to die like that. No one does. She was only 14 years old, and she had her whole life ahead of her.

I want everyone out there to know that drunk driving kills, and it is 100 percent preventable. Please don't drive drunk. And remember to tell your friends that you love them. -- West Lafayette, Indiana.

Dear Indiana: We can tell that your heart is breaking. Take some solace in the fact that your letter may save a life.

========

"Annie's Mailbox" is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar. This column was originally published in 2016. To find out more about Classic Annie's Mailbox and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit Creators Syndicate at www.creators.com.

Joey Weatherford Ed Wexler Darrin Bell Drew Sheneman Get Fuzzy Daryl Cagle