/

Annie's Mailbox: Devastated Wife

Dear Need Help: One of the hardest things about parenting is letting your adult child make her own mistakes. Vanessa knows how you feel about her boyfriend.

Beyond that, she gets to make her own choices -- good or bad. Maybe if you back off, she'll stop pulling in the other direction. If not, be there to pick up the pieces.

Dear Annie: This is for "Crunching Numbers in North Dakota," who asked how it was possible for a couple to afford a wedding these days. When my wife and I became engaged, I was a poor student, and she was a low-level office clerk. Her family had no money to help, and mine was adamantly against the wedding.

We had the reception in a local American Legion hall, picked lilacs from the yards of friends and family members, served champagne in plastic cups, and had home-cooked food. It didn't cost much, but a good time was had by all.

That was 25 years ago. It is the time, effort and love you put into the marriage, not the money you put into the reception, that makes it great. My only concern is that we have two teenage daughters, and I shudder to think of the cost of resolving any long-suppressed wedding urges my wife might be hiding. -- Life is Good in Boston

Dear Boston: You are the voice of reason in an age of excess. Thanks.

========

"Annie's Mailbox" is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar. This column was originally published in 2016. To find out more about Classic Annie's Mailbox and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit Creators Syndicate at www.creators.com.

Steve Benson Humor Me Chris Britt Baby Blues Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee For Better or For Worse