/

Annie's Mailbox: Happy Valentine's Day

Dear Readers: Happy Valentine's Day to one and all, along with our special good wishes to all of our veterans in VA hospitals around the country. And our particular thanks and appreciation to those readers who have taken the time to send valentines, visit the vets and volunteer at VA facilities. Bless each and every one of you. You are truly caring and compassionate.

Dear Annie: I'm looking for an essay that appeared in your column a few years ago. It was about an elderly man who was celebrating a birthday. He spent the whole day waiting, but no one came to see him. I visited my mother today in a nursing home. She brought up this column in our conversation, and I promised to try to track it down. Can you help? -- Loving Daughter

Dear Daughter: Happy to. Here it is:

It Was Grandfather's Birthday by Rudy Joe Mano (reprinted with permission)

It was Grandfather's birthday. He was 79. He got up early, shaved, showered, combed his hair and put on his Sunday best so he would look nice when they came.

He skipped his daily walk to the town cafe where he had coffee with his cronies. He wanted to be home when they came.

He put his porch chair on the sidewalk so he could get a better view of the street when they drove up to help celebrate his birthday.

At noon, he got tired but decided to forgo his nap so he could be there when they came.

Most of the rest of the afternoon he spent near the telephone so he could answer it when they called.

He has five married children, 13 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. One son and a daughter live within 10 miles of his place. They hadn't visited him for a long time.

For Better or For Worse Chip Bok Dustin Agnes Daddy's Home Mike Du Jour