/

Annie's Mailbox: Short Stature Worries Teenager

Dear Annie: You gave great advice to "Too Small," the teenage boy who is worried that his short stature means he will never have a girlfriend.

I recommend he check his hygiene, making sure it's impeccable. He also should make sure his clothes are neat, clean and pressed and learn some communication skills so he's an excellent conversationalist and a great listener. I'd suggest he develop some varied interests and make education a priority. It's personally appealing and something you do for yourself that no one can take away from you. Self-confidence is extremely sexy! Last but not least, he should learn to dance. Yes, really! Girls of all ages love to dance. The guy who can dance is the hit of every gathering. The grumps are sitting on the sidelines. Ultimately, a well-rounded person is a woman's dream date. -- B.

Dear B.: We were surprised by the number of readers who suggested he learn to dance as a way to be irresistible to women. Read on for more encouragement:

From New York: My older son has been short all of his life, but has excelled in everything he has done. Today, at 32, he is 5-foot-4, married with three boys, a youth minister and full of life. What you do with your life is more important than your stature.

Florida: My son was born prematurely and had many health issues growing up. But he saw a growth spurt at age 27, raising his height by several inches. He is well educated and successful. We are ALL different in some way.

Redondo Beach, Calif.: Suggest that he Google one of the most famous Marines in our history: Lt. General Victor Krulak. Though 5-foot-4 and 116 pounds, Krulak's nickname was "Brute." He fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam and was one of the most decorated Marines in the history of the Corps. I knew a Marine with a chest full of medals. His name was Bill, and he was about 5-foot-6. I'm 6-foot, but when I stood near Col. Bill, I felt like he was 7 feet tall.

Chicago: I tower over my boyfriend of two years. He's 4-foot-9. I am 5-foot-7. I love him both for who he is and because of his height. It may take a while to find them, but there absolutely are women who dig short men.

Louisville, Ky.: His parents should take him to an endocrinologist immediately. His small stature may be the result of a lack of growth hormone. Salem, Ore.: As a short man, my teen years were no fun. I wanted girlfriends who were pretty and popular. Fortunately, my parents encouraged me to use my mind and creative talents and not worry about my size. Even if they seemed to last forever, the teen years turned out to be a blink of an eye. I hope this boy's parents understand his anxieties and can help him find a mentor who can direct him toward a path where physical size does not matter. The world is a big place with lots of opportunities. As a bonus, you are never asked to clean the top of the refrigerator.

Los Angeles: I am a 15-year-old sophomore girl in high school. I am 4-foot-11. My mother is 5-foot-1, as is my older brother. My classmates tower over me. I would like to have a boyfriend. Please don't give up. Your girl is out there somewhere.

Texas: Your list of celebrities missed one. I invite you to look up a Texan by the name of Audie Murphy. You will find he had a very distinguished career. He was the most decorated soldier in WWII and went on to have a film career. His small stature didn't seem to hold him back at all.

Florida: If he makes a lot of money, his height won't matter.

========

This Classic Annie's Mailbox column was originally published in 2014. To find out more about Classic Annie's Mailbox and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit Creators Syndicate at www.creators.com.

Reply All One Big Happy Curtis Rugrats Signe Wilkinson Breaking Cat News