/

Annie's Mailbox: Thanksgiving

Dear Readers: Today is Thanksgiving. If you know someone who is alone today, please invite him or her to share your Thanksgiving dinner and help make the occasion truly special.

Today we'd like to run a piece that has appeared in this space several times. It was written by Judy Vekasy, a registered nurse and director of activities in a nursing home in Savannah, Tenn. Here it is:

In this season of thanksgiving and just plain giving, I have some suggestions for those who need something to be thankful for or those who need someone to allow them to give. Nursing homes are full of opportunities.

You say you can't do anything. Can you read? Good. Read to me. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Can you write? Good. Write a letter or a card for me. My hands are shaky.

Can you sing? Good. Help me with the words and I'll sing along.

Can you tell me about your job? I was a nurse once myself.

Can you listen? Wonderful. I'm starved for conversation.

Can you bake a sponge cake or zucchini bread or angel biscuits or make fudge? They aren't on the nursing home menu, but I remember how good they were and I would like to taste them again.

Do you play checkers or dominoes or rummy? Fine, so do I, but there is never anyone who has the time. They are understaffed around here, you know.

Doonesbury Family Circus Fort Knox Pearls Before Swine Signe Wilkinson Blondie