Health Advice

/

Health

Sleep, COVID-19 and Health Care Workers

Scott LaFee on

Being a frontline health care worker during the COVID-19 pandemic can be a continuing source of sleeplessness, which may increase the risk of contracting the disease. In a summer 2020 survey of 2,884 workers exposed to COVID-19 patients daily, 568 developed COVID-19. For each hour longer that these health care workers slept, their odds of contracting COVID-19 fell 12%, reports STAT. Having severe sleep problems increased the odds of developing COVID-19 by 88%.

Health care workers who reported daily burnout were more than twice as likely to have COVID-19 and three times as likely to say it was severe.

Body of Knowledge

Records are obviously incomplete, but the smallest baby known to survive was a little girl nicknamed "Saybie," born in San Diego, California, in December 2018. She weighed 8.6 ounces, roughly the size of a large apple or two-thirds of a can of soda.

Saybie was born via C-section at 23 weeks and 3 days gestation after her mother experienced severe pregnancy problems. Normal gestation is roughly 40 weeks. After five months in the hospital, Saybie was discharged as a healthy 5-pound infant.

Get Me That, Stat!

 

National guidelines recommend women get a mammogram every two years between ages 50 and 74. A recent study found that 80% of U.S. breast cancer centers recommend annual mammograms beginning at age 40. The researchers also noted that false-positive rates are higher for women screened every year (61%) compared with every other year (42%) over 10 years, resulting in more biopsies, surgeries and other treatments for benign tumors or indolent cancers.

Mark Your Calendar

May is awareness month for strokes, arthritis, cystic fibrosis, hepatitis, lupus, melanoma, asthma, allergies, celiac disease, osteoporosis, teen pregnancy, mental health and high blood pressure, the last of which probably rose while reading about all of the other conditions you should be aware of this month.

Counts

...continued

swipe to next page
Copyright 2021 Creators Syndicate Inc.
 

 

Comics

Dave Whamond Luann David Fitzsimmons Cathy Hagar the Horrible Between Friends