Del Mar return appears murky
The feasibility of KAABOO returning to Del Mar is difficult to gauge, at least for now.
In a written statement provided to the Union-Tribune May 20, Del Mar Fairgrounds CEO Carlene Moore said: “We are not in negotiations or discussions with KAABOO.” There was no response to a follow-up question asking if any negotiations or discussions had taken place prior to now.
“The bottom line is, the Padres have a binding agreement with KAABOO,” said a person familiar with the lawsuit, who would only speak to the Union-Tribune under the condition of anonymity.
With or without a new iteration of KAABOO on the horizon, an untold number of people who purchased tickets for the festival’s 2020 edition have repeatedly been stymied in their efforts to obtain refunds from KAABOO or its ticketing agency, See Tickets. According to the weekly music industry magazine Billboard, the festival owes at least $500,000 in refunds to ticketholders left in the lurch.
“We paid $3,400 for a pair of 2020 VIP tickets,” said Sacramento resident Jon Gianulias, who had planned to attend that year’s edition of KAABOO with his wife, Nica.
In lieu of a refund, the couple accepted the festival’s offer to give them two free general admission tickets if they rolled their 2020 VIP passes over to 2021. When last year’s edition of KAABOO failed to materialize, the couple — like other frustrated ticketholders who have contacted the Union-Tribune — made repeated attempts to obtain a refund. All of those attempts have been futile so far.
“No one ever responded,” Nica Gianulias lamented.
“We’re not lawyers,” her husband added, “but if anyone is filing a class action suit, we’d join in.”
So would San Marcos resident Kara Rentch, who with a friend bought six general “early bird” tickets in late 2019 for the next year’s edition of KAABOO. She, too, has failed in repeated efforts to obtain a refund.