"Nothing could have prepared my son for how that sexual assault would make him feel as a man," Unruh said. "It harmed him and it cannot be undone."
Unruh also stated that her son did not report the incident at the time out of embarrassment and fear.
"He knew the kind of attention that would result from making an accusation about such a public person," she said. "I can assure you that this is not the kind of attention anyone wants."
Unruh said that her son provided law-enforcement officials with evidence when filing a police report last week and that a criminal investigation is now underway.
Representatives for the Nantucket Police Department did not immediately respond to The Times' request for comment Wednesday morning.
As for why her son chose now to come forward, Unruh credits the atmosphere of openness that's afoot well beyond Hollywood.
"The climate in this country has changed now, thanks to the brave women and all sexual abuse victims who have come forward with their accusations against Harvey Weinstein and other sexual abusers," Unruh said.
Representatives for Spacey did not immediately respond to The Times' request for comment Wednesday morning.
(c)2017 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.