Current News



A month after shooting inside Sox Park, a mystery persists

Sam Charles, Chicago Tribune on

Published in News & Features

A month after two women were hit by gunfire while sitting in the bleachers during a White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field, the shooting that stunned the city and made news around the country appears no closer to being solved than it was in the hours after the incident, sources said.

Rumors and hearsay, peddled largely by content aggregators on social media, have done little to quell speculation about the shooting — which, in the nearly 150-year history of Major League Baseball, is believed to be perhaps just the fourth instance of a fan being shot while inside a big league ballpark.

Investigators have been weighing whether the woman who sustained the more severe injuries was somehow able to bring a gun into the stadium that later discharged while she was in the left field bleachers, according to police sources not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation. That woman has not been cooperative with Chicago Police Department investigators in the weeks since she was shot, sources said.

The woman was shot in the inner thigh and through the calf, one high-ranking police source said, giving the firing of the weapon the trademarks of a pistol accidentally discharging in someone’s pocket.

The idea the shot came from outside the South Side ballpark would make it “a magic bullet even JFK would be proud of,” said the source, who has knowledge of the progress of the investigation. The source predicted a protracted investigation with few avenues for determining what took place.

The woman’s attorney, John Malm, did not respond to repeated requests for comment, including on whether his client was being cooperative.


But in a statement issued days after the shooting, Malm vehemently denied that his client was in any way responsible for her injuries.

“We have reviewed photographic evidence and X-rays of our client’s injuries with firearms and medical experts who confirm the gunshot wound our client sustained was not self-inflicted and was not the result of her accidentally discharging a firearm,” Malm previously said. “We will continue investigating this matter further to pursue justice on behalf of our client who sustained serious personal injuries as a result of this shooting.”

Malm is a personal injury lawyer, but no lawsuit had been filed as of last week.

The Chicago Police Department’s investigation of the shooting continues as team leaders and police officials have offered starkly different explanations of where the bullets came from.


swipe to next page

©2023 Chicago Tribune. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


blog comments powered by Disqus