Current News



White supremacist who killed 3 at Jewish sites in Kansas dies in prison

Luke Nozicka, The Kansas City Star on

Published in News & Features

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A white supremacist who killed three people at Jewish sites in Overland Park, Kansas, in 2014 has died in prison, according to the Kansas Department of Corrections.

F. Glenn Miller Jr., convicted of capital murder in 2015, died Monday at the El Dorado Correctional Facility.

Miller’s cause of death is pending an autopsy, but a preliminary assessment indicates he died of natural causes, prison officials said. He was 80.

Miller’s April 13, 2014, rampage outside the Jewish Community Center and the Village Shalom care center took the lives of Reat Underwood, 14; his grandfather William Corporon, 69; and 53-year-old Terri LaManno, who worked with visually impaired children.

Jurors found the murders especially heinous and sentenced Miller to death. Miller, who lived in Aurora in southwest Missouri, was also sentenced to more than 32 years in prison for other crimes, which included attempted murder for shooting at people who were not struck by his gunfire.

During the trial, Miller represented himself and argued the shootings were justified because he was trying to stop “the Jewish genocide against the white race.” None of the victims were Jewish.

Miller told jurors during the trial he regretted not killing more people.

“On most days,” he said at the time, “it’s the first thing I think about in the morning, and the last thing I think about at night.”


The shooting spree on April 13, 2014, at the Jewish Community Center and Village Shalom care center was fueled by Miller’s virulent hatred of Jewish people and his belief in a Jewish conspiracy to destroy the “white race.”

Miller said during the trial he was surprised there were Christians at a Jewish facility and chose that day for the assault because a talent competition was being held at the community center. Underwood was there to compete.

Miller testified that he had driven around the facilities on several previous occasions to scout the layout. On the day of the killings, he arrived in the morning, but not seeing people outside, he decided to leave and drive back to his home in southern Missouri.

But he changed his mind and drove back. He said he spotted Corporon and his grandson in a pickup truck parked near the entrance. Two others were walking by, so Miller said he stopped with the thought of shooting all four.

At his sentencing, Miller reiterated his desire to kill Jewish people, The Kansas City Star reported.

“I’d do it again,” he said, “if they ever let me out of here.”

In March, his attorneys argued before the state Supreme Court that his death sentence should be overturned because the trial judge in Johnson County made a mistake when he allowed Miller to represent himself in the penalty phase of the case.

(c)2021 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.