LOS ANGELES -- The U.S. Marines late Sunday released the names of eight service members who went missing during a training exercise off San Clemente Island last week.
The seven Marines and one sailor are presumed dead, officials said. The search-and-rescue operation ended earlier Sunday.
"It is with a heavy heart that I decided to conclude the search-and-rescue effort," Col. Christopher Bronzi, commanding officer of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said in a statement. "The steadfast dedication of the Marines, sailors and Coast Guardsmen to the persistent rescue effort was tremendous."
One Marine, Lance Cpl. Guillermo S. Perez, 20, of New Braunfels, Texas, was pronounced dead at the scene before being transported by helicopter to Scripps Memorial Hospital in San Diego. He was a rifleman with Bravo Company, Battalion Landing Team \.
Three of those presumed dead are from Southern California:
-- Pfc. Bryan J. Baltierra, 19, of Corona, California, a rifleman with Bravo Company, BLT \, 15th MEU.
-- Lance Cpl. Marco A. Barranco, 21, of Montebello, California, a rifleman with Bravo Company, BLT \.
-- Pfc. Evan A. Bath, 19, of Oak Creek, Wisconsin, a rifleman with Bravo Company, BLT \, 15th MEU.
-- U.S. Navy Hospitalman Christopher Gnem, 22, of Stockton, California, a hospital corpsman with Bravo Company, BLT \.
-- Pfc. Jack Ryan Ostrovsky, 21, of Bend, Oregon, a rifleman with Bravo Company, BLT \.