Current News

/

ArcaMax

Britain's Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus

Bill Smith, DPA on

Published in News & Features

LONDON -- Prince Charles, 71, has tested positive for infection with the coronavirus, the British royal family said on Wednesday.

Clarence House said Charles is self-isolating at home in Scotland with his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall.

"He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual," it said, adding that Camilla, 72, is not infected.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said Queen Elizabeth II, Charles' 93-year-old mother, "remains in good health."

"The queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of March 12 and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare," the palace said, referring to Charles by another of his official titles.

The palace did not mention the queen's 98-year-old husband, Prince Philip, who has largely retired from official duties after his health deteriorated in recent years.

Britain had confirmed more 8,000 coronavirus infections by Tuesday, including 422 deaths. Government health experts say tens of thousands of people are probably infected.

Charles hosted a Water Aid summit at Clarence House in London on March 10 that was attended by another infected royal, Prince Albert II of Monaco.

The royal palace in Monaco confirmed on March 19 that Albert, 62, had tested positive for coronavirus, adding that his health "does not give any cause for concern."

 

The queen moved from London to Windsor Castle last week as a "sensible precaution" amid the coronavirus pandemic, the palace said earlier.

She has cancelled summer garden parties at Buckingham Palace and at least two planned outings in Britain, while more large events over the coming months are expected be cancelled or postponed, it said.

The British and Japanese royal families announced on Thursday that a planned spring visit to Britain by Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako had been postponed.

Charles and Camilla also postponed planned spring visits to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan.

The queen's granddaughter, Princess Beatrice, announced the cancellation of her wedding reception at Buckingham Palace for her planned marriage to property tycoon Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi on May 29.

(c)2020 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)

Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus