Current News

/

ArcaMax

Nation and world news briefs

Tribune News Service on

Published in News & Features

Indiana man sparked investigation as he shouted outside Mar-a-Lago

MIAMI -- The man who sparked a U.S. Secret Service investigation last week when he attempted to enter Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump's private Palm Beach club and primary residence, is a 34-year-old from Indiana, according to a heavily redacted incident report released Tuesday by Palm Beach police. The man has not been charged with a crime.

The Miami Herald is not publishing the man's name out of concern for privacy regarding mental health. The police report notes that the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office Behavioral Services unit was called to the scene. A police spokesperson said parts of the report were redacted because they included medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

The police report states that around 7 p.m. on Jan. 6, the man attempted to enter Mar-a-Lago through a side entrance on Southern Boulevard, shouting that he wanted something. The specifics of what he shouted were redacted from the report. A club security guard encountered the man at the gate. The man then returned to his black four-door vehicle parked in a lot across the street from the club, according to the report. Club security called the Palm Beach Police Department. An officer arrived at the scene, stopped the vehicle and questioned the man.

The officer then requested that the man turn off the 2013 Toyota and step out of the car, citing "officer safety reasons," the report said. At that point the officer called for backup, including the U.S. Secret Service, which protects the president and his family, and the PBSO Behavioral Services unit.

 

Trump was not in Palm Beach during the incident.

-- Miami Herald

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus