Soccer / Sports

U.S. women's soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo appears in Kirkland Municipal Court on Monday afternoon in connection with her domestic violence arrest at her sister's home in Kirkland, Wash., on June 23, 2014. (Mike Siegel/Seattle Times/MCT)

Hope Solo pleads not guilty to domestic violence charges

SEATTLE -- Soccer star Hope Solo pleaded not guilty to domestic violence charges Monday afternoon in Kirkland Municipal Court.

City prosecutors asked for a bail of $5,000 and no-contact order between Solo and the alleged victims, but Judge Michael J. Lambo allowed Solo to be released on her own recognizance after her attorney, Todd Maybrown, argued that she had no prior arrests and was not a flight risk.

The judge also ordered Solo to not consume alcohol as a condition of her release.

A pretrial hearing is scheduled for Aug. 11.

Among those seated in court was Jerramy Stevens, Solo's husband and a former NFL player.

Charging documents say that Solo was arrested after police responded to a 911 call about a disturbance. The male caller reported that a woman at the residence was hitting people and no one could get her to stop or leave the house, according to police.

Officers arrived and immediately heard the disturbance inside. They entered the house and contacted several people, including Solo, who officers said appeared intoxicated and upset.

Solo's 17-year-old nephew told police his mother -- Solo's older half-sister -- had just started letting Solo back into their lives, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

Police said the teen's T-shirt was torn and he had scratch marks on his arms and a bleeding cut on his ear.

The boy said Solo came to the family gathering "upset about the fact that her husband refused to take her to catch a flight because he was being a jerk," according to court documents. The teen told police Solo appeared to have been drinking when she arrived and that Solo and his mother continued to drink wine after other relatives began leaving, the court document says.

According to the court document, the teen said he was talking about theatrical productions he's been in and explaining how he believes that a good actor has to have an "athletic state of mind" when Solo allegedly told him he would never be athletic because he was "too fat and overweight and crazy to ever be an athlete."

The two eventually got into a fist fight, the document says.

When the boy's mother tried to pull Solo off her son, Solo punched her in the face, according to court documents.

Court documents also say the mother broke a broom over Solo's head and the teen pointed an "old gun that did not work" at Solo to try to get her to leave, but she would not leave and kept "circling like a shark."

Solo, 32, was arrested and booked into the South King County detention facility on two counts of investigation of fourth-degree domestic-violence assault.

"Hope is not guilty of any crime," defense attorney Maybrown said in an email Saturday. "In fact, our investigation reveals that Hope was assaulted and injured during this unfortunate incident. We look forward to the opportunity to present the true facts in court and to having this matter behind Hope very soon."

Just a week ago, Solo, goalie for the unbeaten Seattle Reign and for the U.S. women's team, posted her record-tying 71st career shutout, as the U.S. beat France 1-0 in an exhibition match in Tampa, Fla. Solo has made 152 appearances for the national team.

The Reign released a terse statement Saturday on the late-night arrest: "We are aware of the situation regarding Hope Solo and are currently gathering information. We have no further comments at this time."

Solo has also played on two gold-medal-winning Olympic teams and appeared on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars." In November 2012, her then-boyfriend Stevens, a former NFL tight end, was arrested for allegedly assaulting Solo. A stun gun was reportedly used to break up the altercation. Hours later, Stevens and Solo were married.

Stevens, who played football for the University of Washington, was released because of insufficient evidence in the case. He was never charged.

(c)2014 The Seattle Times

Visit The Seattle Times at

Distributed by MCT Information Services


blog comments powered by Disqus