On one side of the podium at Wednesday's news conference was Bryan Vera, a fighter who dedicated himself in training camp for Saturday's fight.
On the other side was Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Vera (23-6, 14 KOs) and Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KOs) were supposed to meet Saturday at StubHub Center in a super-middleweight fight (168 pounds). However, the weight could be closer to light-heavyweight (175).
With Chavez apparently in a serious fight to make 168, the exact weight limit will be revealed when the fighters hit the scale for Friday's weigh-in at 3 p.m. HBO will televise the fight. Top Rank Promotions will have a live stream of Friday's weigh-in at www.toprank.tv.
Vera, however, has done his part.
"I'm at 170 pounds right now," Vera said. "We're right on point to make 168. I could probably be at 168 if I wanted to, but we're kind of playing by it ear and see what's going to happen. We've known for three months that we were going to fight at 168."
Chavez Jr. had some problems making 160, and the move to 168 was thought to be alleviating the problem of draining himself before a fight. However, after a year layoff, the struggle to make 168 is staring everyone on Team Chavez in the face.
Early this week, his father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., told reporters that the weight limit already had been increased to 173 pounds. This was certainly news to Vera and his team.
"When we first signed the contract, it (the weight limit) was 163-164," David Watson, Vera's manager, said. "Then from there, it went to 168. I think it moved to 168 about 3-4 weeks after the initial contract."
Vera and Chavez initially were supposed to fight Sept. 7, but the fight was postponed after Chavez suffered a cut in training, to which Ronnie Shields, Vera's trainer, said, "I'm still looking for the cut."
Now Shields and Vera are left in limbo until Friday's weigh-in.
"For me, this motivates me," Vera said. "This is going to make it more of a pleasure to beat him. This is disrespectful. To me, it looks like they're taking me lightly, so come Saturday, I get to go in there and derail what he's trying to do.
"I know he's not ready. So, I'm going to take advantage of it."
Tickets can be purchased at StubHub Center's Box Office or by calling 888-929-7849.
HBO will open Saturday's telecast with Adonis Stevenson (21-1, 18 KOs) defending his WBC light-heavyweight titles against former IBF champion Tavoris Cloud (24-1, 19 KOs) in Montreal.
Stevenson won the title in June with a spectacular first-round knockout of then-champion Chad Dawson.
Cloud lost his title in his last fight, a 12-round unanimous decision to Bernard Hopkins in March.
After the Stevenson-Cloud and Chavez-Vera fights, HBO will debut the first episode of 24/7, the All-Access series focusing on the Oct. 12 title fight between Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez. The second episode will air Oct. 5.
Saturday's undercard will feature 2012 U.S. Olympian Jose Ramirez and 2012 Mexican Olympian Oscar Valdez in separate fights. ... The first fight is set to begin at 3:45 p.m. ... WBA super-middleweight champion Andre Ward (26-0, 14 KOs) will return to the ring Nov. 16 against Edwin Rodriguez (24-0, 16 KOs) at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario. ...Top Rank announced the signing of WBA featherweight champion Nicholas Walters (22-0, 18 KOs). He will make his U.S. debut Nov. 9 on the Rocky Martinez-Mikey Garcia card from Corpus Christi, Texas. ... Carlos Molina was forced to withdraw from his Sept. 30 fight against Michael Perez. Perez will now face Miguel Zuniga. The fight will be televised on Fox Sports 1. ... Manager Frank Espinoza said that the return date for Luis Ramos Jr. (Santa Ana) has been moved to Nov. 11.
(c)2013 The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.)
Visit The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.) at www.ocregister.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services