Hockey / Sports

The Philadelphia Flyers' Claude Giroux celebrates with teammates after his goal against the Detroit Red Wings during the third period at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014. The Flyers won, 5-0. (Steven M. Falk/Philadelphia Daily News/MCT)

Hartnell puts the hurt on Wings as Flyers win 5-0

PHILADELPHIA --Scott Hartnell said he was relieved to get a good X-ray report on his throbbing left foot.

"I thought it was broken," the Flyers' left winger said after Tuesday's morning skate. He later added: "It's just sore and aching, but a lot of guys play through bumps and bruises, and I'm no different."

Hartnell played through the pain Tuesday and scored a pair of goals, sparking the Flyers to a much-needed 5-0 win over the depleted Detroit Red Wings at the Wells Fargo Center.

Never mind that the Red Wings used their "B" team because of injuries to numerous key players, including Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen and Stephen Weiss.

At this point, the Flyers won't get picky about whoever they beat. They ended a four-game losing streak and moved back into a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Steve Mason (33 saves), serenaded with chants of "Ma-son, "Ma-son" late in the game, collected his second shutout of the season, and the Flyers recorded their eighth straight home win over Detroit since 1997.

Hartnell, who has played on the top line in the last two games, and linemate Claude Giroux (goal, two assists) each had three points. Hartnell has 21 points in his last 21 games; Giroux has 29 points in his last 22.

The Flyers got goals from Hartnell (slot shot after a deft set up by Giroux) and Adam Hall (backhander on a rebound) 2 minutes, 54 seconds apart midway through the second period to take a 3-0 lead. Hartnell's goal was his second of the night and 14th of the season.

Hartnell had opened the scoring, redirecting Kimmo Timonen's point drive while the Flyers were on a power play with 6:18 to go in the first period.

Hartnell, who injured his foot while blocking a shot in Buffalo on Jan. 14, called it the Flyers' best period in three or four games. It was a first period in which the Flyers were defensively responsible, allowing just seven shots.

The Flyers, who killed all four of their penalties, will start a difficult three-game California trip in Anaheim on Thursday.

"Tonight we're at home, and we have to set the tone for the next few games with a big win -- and a big effort, more importantly," Hartnell said before the game.

Mason, owner of a 4.56 goals-against average and a .851 save percentage in his previous six starts, rebounded and had his best game in several weeks. Mason made a glove save to rob Gustav Nyquist from the right circle while Detroit was on a four-on-three power play late in the first period.

Mason made 10 second-period saves, including one on Luke Glendening in tight before Kyle Quincey fired the rebound off the crossbar. He gloved Nyquist's ticketed left-circle drive with 8:30 left in the game to keep the Flyers ahead, 4-0. He later gloved Patrick Eaves' blast with 34.6 seconds remaining.

The Flyers got third-period goals from Giroux and Sean Couturier.

Timonen appeared to injure his foot while blocking a first-period shot. He played briefly in the second period before being replaced and did not return.

The Flyers, who denied Mike Babcock his 400th coaching win with Detroit, will play in Anaheim Thursday. The Ducks entered Tuesday leading the NHL in points (83) and had a 21-1-2 home record.

(c)2014 The Philadelphia Inquirer

Visit The Philadelphia Inquirer at www.philly.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services



blog comments powered by Disqus