Golf / Sports

Woods says he's ready to resume competition

That didn't take long.

Days after news broke that Tiger Woods had started hitting full shots -- the next step in his recovery from back surgery -- the former No. 1 golfer announced that he will return to competition.

"After a lot of therapy I have recovered well and will be supporting my foundation next week at the Quicken Loans National," he wrote in a Facebook post on Friday.

It was early March when Woods played his most recent competitive round, at the WGC-Cadillac Championship. Soon after, he underwent a microdiscectomy for a pinched nerve that had been causing him pain for months.

At the time, Woods said only that he hoped to rejoin the PGA Tour "sometime this summer."

Periodic reports had him progressing slowly but surely, starting with putts and chips. A quick return seemed unrealistic but, apparently, nothing is unrealistic where Woods is concerned.

Playing at Congressional Country Club in Washington next week could help him prepare for the upcoming British Open.

"I will be a bit rusty but I want to play myself back into competitive shape," he posted. "Excited for the challenge ahead."

(c)2014 Los Angeles Times

Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services


Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus