LOS ANGELES -- One-half of the Los Angeles Lakers' 30-something backcourt returned to action Sunday. But what about Steve Nash?
"I don't know," the injury-riddled point guard said several hours before Kobe Bryant played against Toronto.
"I had three good days of practice and I could play right now, but we don't really have any confidence that it's sustainable. Instead of playing, missing a few weeks, playing, missing a few weeks ... try to get to a place where I could play and sustain it. We don't know when that is right now."
Nash has played in only six games this season, sidelined since Nov. 10 because of nerve damage in his back.
When he's played, he hasn't been effective -- 6.7 points and 4.8 assists per game.
He probably won't play in the Lakers' trip that starts Friday in Oklahoma City. It's four games in five nights.
"That's kind of an all-or-nothing proposition," Nash said. "I think it's safe to say we'll wait beyond that."
He initially felt stronger after training with his personal physiotherapist for a week in Vancouver, British Columbia, two weeks ago. He even thought of playing last Friday against Sacramento.
Then, as Nash put it, there were "a couple minor moments or setbacks where you're like, 'Let's not be rash here and come back too soon.' "
Nash had an epidural shot in his back a few weeks ago but there were no plans for another any time soon.
"I don't know that those really help that much," he said. "I had two in the playoffs last year and they help, they take some of the sting out of it, but I can't get over the hump with an epidural."
So the Lakers will go with Steve Blake or Bryant at point guard, with a little bit of Xavier Henry mixed in too.
The player they excitedly signed to a three-year, $28 million contract in July 2012 remains sidelined until further notice.
(c)2013 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services