Baseball / Sports

Deadlocked jury in Dodgers lawsuit told to keep trying for verdict

LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles jury said Wednesday it was deadlocked over whether the Los Angeles Dodgers organization was responsible for the devastating injuries suffered by a San Francisco Giants fan beaten during the 2011 home opener at Dodgers Stadium.

But the judge in the case ordered the jury to return for further deliberations.

Bryan Stow, a Santa Cruz paramedic and the father of two young children, was beaten unconscious and left with such profound injuries that his attorneys say he will require round-the-clock medical assistance for the rest of his life.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Stow and his children, accused the Dodgers and then-owner Frank McCourt of failing to provide proper security and lighting in the parking lot, creating a dangerous environment.

The suit said Stow and his friends had been taunted throughout the game and then were blindsided from behind as they walked across a dimly illuminated parking lot -- all of which went unnoticed by security.

Stow's attorney argued that McCourt had opted for cheap security, instead funneling money into his own lavish lifestyle.

"The Dodgers' own pocketbook prevented them from providing proper security," said attorney Thomas Girardi, pointing out that the team's security budget amounted to about 62 cents per fan in attendance.

But the Dodgers' attorney said the opposite was true -- that the team had stepped up security and provided the most robust level of protection of any opening day game in team history. Stow himself and his two attackers were ultimately responsible for his injuries, Dana Fox argued.

Fox said Stow and his family should have sought damages from Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, the two men now serving time for the assault, rather than from the Dodgers.

(c)2014 Los Angeles Times

Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services


Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus