Baseball / Sports

Marlins manager Redmond hopes new replay rules don't impact pace of play

JUPITER, Fla. -- Manager Mike Redmond spent part of his Thursday morning getting briefed on the new instant replay system. While encouraged at the notion of getting more calls right, Redmond on Friday said he would withhold judgment until season's end.

"Pace of play is such a big deal," Redmond said. "Like everybody I'm waiting to see how it works."

Ex-major league managers turned MLB officials Tony La Russa and Joe Torre visited Marlins' camp Thursday as part of their spring training tour. They met with Redmond, President of Baseball Operations Michael Hill, bench coach Rob Leary and video coordinator Cullen McCrae.

Once the season starts, Redmond will rely on McCrae to relay from the video room whether he should ask for a replay. Managers are guaranteed one review request per game and as many as two if they're proven right on the first one.

"There are still some things they're trying to tweak," Redmond said. "They said they're going to have it all finalized within the next few days. There are still things that are coming up. It's not going to be a perfect system right out of the chute. It'll be a work in progress, but I think the guts of it are going to be good.

"It's definitely going to be different and I'm sure there will be some stuff that will come up that we weren't prepared for."

Redmond and fellow managers will get a test run during televised spring training games. He's already begun thinking about when to request replays. Some undoubtedly will err on the side of saving the review until the last third of the game, even though umpires can review calls at their discretion from the seventh inning on.

"If you feel like you can be right and it gets you a runner on first or an out, I'm going to take it, whether it's early in the game or late in the game," Redmond said. "We'll see the situations as they come up, but I'm definitely going to take an out depending on the situation...There definitely will be a strategy to it."

Scary moment

Marlins' vice president of player development Marty Scott had a scary moment this week. He woke up in the middle of the night with numbness down his left forearm. He went back to sleep, but the numbness persisted a few hours later.

A battery of tests at a local hospital revealed Scott, 60, suffered a mild stroke.

"So many people since I was in the hospital (were like), 'Are you feeling better?'" Scott said. "I never really felt bad at all...Outside of high blood sugar, a little escalated cholesterol and a little bit of high blood pressure, I'm great.

"It was scary in the fact I know my body and I knew something was wrong, really not knowing what it was."

Scott was released from the hospital Wednesday night. He's still feeling numbness in his fingers and will be limited to half days at camp until Wednesday.

Alvarez sends for family

Unrest in his native Venezuela has prompted Miami Marlins' pitcher Henderson Alvarez to bring his wife and baby daughter to the United States ahead of schedule.

Alvarez's two-month old daughter, Brianna, was having respiratory issues as a result of tear gas shot near the family's Caracas residence. Mother and daughter arrived Thursday.

"They were going to stay another month in Venezuela, but I had to get them out of there because of an emergency," Alvarez said. "The baby was being affected by the tear gas. That was the second time. With only two months old, that odor is too strong. I couldn't take it anymore and I sent for them."

(c)2014 Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services


blog comments powered by Disqus