Senior Living News / Senior Living

Social Security Q&A

Q: We adopted a baby girl overseas and brought her home with us to the United States. We need to get a Social Security number for her. What do we do?

A: In general, to apply for a Social Security number for your child you must:

Complete an ...

Social Security Q&A: Supplemental security income

Q: My grandfather, who is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), will be coming to live with me. Does he have to report the move to Social Security?

A: Yes. An SSI beneficiary must report any change in living arrangements before the 10th ...

Social Security Q&A: Disability

Q: Is there a time limit on how long you can get Social Security disability benefits?

A: No. Your disability benefits will continue as long as your medical condition has not improved, and you cannot work. We will periodically review your case to ...

Social Security Q&A: Retirement

Q: How long do I need to work to become eligible for retirement benefits?

A: Everyone born in 1929 or later needs 40 Social Security credits to be eligible for retirement benefits. You can earn up to four credits per year, so you will need at ...